Friday, February 4, 2011

Beachtime fun!

I love living in Spain! It is winter and I should be bundled up inside because it should be freezing right? NOPE! Today me and my little noodle Emmeline went to the beach!
We had Emmeline’s 6 month vaccinations today and as the hospital is across the road from the hospital, I decided to take Emmeline for her first ever excursion to the beach! I grew up in Durban, South Africa and was always on the beach or in the swimming pool and Xavi was the same. Actually xavi more as he swam for the state, so he is a real water baby as well. And so we are hoping that our little miss enjoys the water and the beach as much as us! Anyway, I miss the beach! Although I only live a 15 minute metro ride away from the beach, I don't go nearly as often as I would like to go. My dream is to live in a nice house super close to the beach one day!

I headed for a spot that was close to the water and off we went. I lowered the pram onto the sand and pushed . . . except that although I pushed, the pram didn’t move. Hmmmm. I pushed more using my knee to ‘nudge’ the pram forwards as well, but still no joy. We weren’t going anywhere like this. By now I started to feel like a bit of a moron and was sure that the thousands (well maybe not so many) of people walking past were looking at me and just going ‘oh look, the first time mother who doesn’t know what to do! Of course she can’t push her 3 wheel pram in the sand. Idiot.’ Eventually I realised that I would need to turn around and drag the pram whilst walking backwards, trying to look cool and not fall over. Alright then, let’s go, it will be totally worth it to show little noodle the beach!

Somehow or another I managed to not fall over at all, phew! I propped Emmeline on the blanket and laughed out loud as I watched her face totally mesmerised by the waves and doing her best impression of a puppy with his head out the window every time the breeze blew in her face! Priceless! I buried her feet in the sand and then filled her hands with sand; she sat in silent awe every now and then just giggling! Her face lit up when the pigeons walked past but it was still the wind that tickled her the most! And me, proud mommy, sat taking a hundred photos from every angle, getting sand in my face, my socks and my pants without a care in the world (until the walk to the metro) taking photos of my little princess.

I stopped for a moment and had a look around me. I noticed a lady sitting in a deck chair with giant headphones on listening to music. Normal. I then noticed that she was waxing her legs with a cordless electric waxer . . . not so normal. She then put down the waxer, pulled out a mirror and started to pluck her eyebrows . . . again, not so normal. I watched with fascination wondering who would actually do that. I then looked down at Emmeline with her hands and feet in the sand. I looked back up at crazy lady and thought “hmm, all those hairs that you are ripping out of your body are gently flying away and landing on the sand. Hmm, that would be the same sand that my daughter is currently playing with and has all over her hands and feet, the same hands and feet that she seems to have stuck in her mouth on an almost permanent basis . . .” needless to say, I very quickly dusted off her hands and feet and put her slap bam in the middle of the blanket far away from hairy sand!!
A fun, interesting and slightly gross day!

No comments:

Post a Comment