Monday, January 10, 2011

The truth about me and the other mother

Xavi has a son from a previous relationship, a beautiful, wonderful little 8 year old boy. The same cannot be said for the mother of this little boy. I have had a thorn in my side for almost 5 years; she is about 1meter 48 tall, has long brown hair and goes by the nickname of the wicked witch. This is not your typical story about the new girlfriend not liking the ex partner of the boyfriend, this story if fairly unique. Let me tell you the story about me and the other mother.
Some people ask me why I dislike Yaincoa’s mother so much and I am sure that many people think that I am biased, I am taking Xavi’s side in the seperation or it is due to some unfounded jealousy due to her and xavi having a child together. I will admit that in the beginning of our relationship I was insecure about xavi and the wicked witch getting back together as they have a son together. I imagined situations that could occur between them and felt scared. She was the mother of his child, I was the tourist who was from a different culture and didn’t speak the language. However a few months into our relationship, I quickly realised that xavi would never go back there.  For a long time I tried to encourage xavi to put aside all the bad that wicked witch had done to him and try to be the better person for the sake of yaincoa. I encouraged him to shelve his feelings and to try again and again and again with her.
After a while that changed. I started to see what wicked witch was really like; I started to see her true side. She has two sides. I have seen both. she has hated me for most of the 5 years xavi and I have been together, but at one brief point, she showed me the side she shows people sometimes, not the real her as this side of her only appears for brief periods. But when she showed it to me, it could have made me think ‘what a great person’ if I didn’t already know what she was really like. Let me explain. I will try to be as brief as possible, but I don’t know if I will manage.
In the beginning I witnessed her threatening xavi with yaincoa along the lines of ‘this weekend you won’t see your son, you can’t have him’ etc. She knows how sensitive xavi is and she would make these threats but never follow through, she would do it to hurt him. For the first few years of our relationship she would still make moves towards xavi. She would answer the door in her pants, she would suggest they get back together for the benefit of yaincoa, she would wear a sexy little practically see through black dress to a school meeting when she knew xavi would be there, when she found out we were having some money problems, she would offer to xavi that he (and not me) could sleep in her flat, and after me being with xavi (and therefore yaincoa) for a year, she tried to prohibit me from going to Yaincoa’s baptism. And when I did go, she did not say a word to me and instead tried to play a game of how close she was to Xavi’s parents by holding her mother’s hand and telling her how much she loved her in front of me. Apparently not something she had done before. She now simply refers to me as ‘the other one’. I think that I have my own personal reasons just on this alone to dislike her.
But it is not only for that.
The father who would do anything for his son
I have seen her being sweet and friendly to Xavi and I have seen her saying all the right things. I have then seen her insult him and being more vulgar than I have ever seen anyone being. She has told lies about xavi to people who used to be her friends (and who are now our friends) and she has called Xavi a bastard behind his back in front of other parents at Yaincoa’s school. In emails only from last year she has called xavi a liar 16 times, told him that any problem with yaincoa is ‘uniquely and exclusively’ his fault 6 times, called him selfish 5 times, told him he has a mouth full of shit twice, told xavi that he is traumatising / destroying / screwing up the life of yaincoa 8 times, calls him a closet gay 4 times, called him a bad son a bad father and a bad person various times. She has also told him that he doesn’t respect her various times. Yet somehow she feels all the insulting and name calling she does is not a lack of respect. What has xavi called her? Nothing, I read every single one of his emails. What has he done to get these responses from her? He has, at the most, been a nag. About what? About trying to get her to be more responsible with regards to her son as I am about to describe. I have seen her lie to xavi repeatedly, I have seen her insult him repeatedly, I have seen her do everything she can to hurt xavi and cause him as much pain and distress as possible. Just for this I think that I would have enough reason to dislike her
But it is not only for that.
I have then seen how she is with her son. A sweet and innocent little boy who loves and adores his mother but who comes with his fair share of problems. I have heard how after a few months of being with xavi she talked about wanting a baby. Xavi did not. After 5months of being together, she got pregnant. Although she was pregnant, she didn’t feel that this was reason enough to stop drinking or smoking constantly throughout her entire pregnancy. Yaincoa has had asthma and chronic bronchitis all his life. When yaincoa was born she gave him as much as possible to Xavi’s mother to look after so that she would have her free time and her time with xavi. Xavi protested this, but she said it was normal. She would let Xavi’s mom stay up all night with yaincoa when he was a baby and was sick and she would sleep through the night in the other room. I have seen her throw herself on the floor hugging him in a grand and exaggerated gesture after being away from him for . . . . 2 days. I have seen her giving yaincoa to Xavi’s parents 4 weekends out of 5 because she works for 4 hrs on a Saturday and therefore for some reason chooses not to be with her son for the whole weekend. I have seen her leaving yaincoa with Xavi’s parent for practically every single one of her weeks during 3 months worth of summer holidays. She has tried to refuse to pick him up from us on various occasions when it is her turn to be with her son because he was sick and in her words ‘if he is sick he can stay with you’ (by sick I mean a cold, I don’t mean severe flu with fever when he should remain in bed). She has prohibited xavi from taking yaincoa to a Barcelona family football game one night of her week to hurt xavi without thinking in the pain it caused her son who loves Barca football club. I have seen her take her son to work with her and then leave him to wonder around the marina all by himself, 100 meters away from her, crossing the road alone, the same road where we witnessed a car almost hitting a child. We have had shared custody of yaincoa for 2 years and 4 months. Before that xavi only had part custody meaning that it was the responsibility of the wicked witch to take care of healthcare etc. Since gaining shared custody, Xavi has done everything possible to have his share of responsibility in every matter. She has never taken her son to the dentist in his whole life. He had to have fillings 2 years ago and actually had to have work done as far as the nerves due to the damage for all the crap he had eaten. Her response was that this was normal, he was a child. She has gone so far as to cancel 2 dentist appointments last year that fell in her week so that she didn’t have to go. In contrast xavi took him 3 times last year and twice this year. Yaincoa needed x Rays on his teeth as he may have needed braces. When he asked wicked witch to organise this (as xavi had done every other appointment) she refused. Her answer was ‘it is your thing, you know more about it than me, finish what you started’. It is not actually Xavi’s thing, it is about Yaincoa. Xavi took Yain to the dentist 3 days ago and yes, yaincoa needs braces. Wicked witch has still not asked how the appointment went or anything about the fact that her son needs braces. She forgot to get some of Yaincoa’s vaccinations done and he was in the health system as a girl which means that he was scheduled for the Papillion vaccination – a vaccination for girls only. Xavi had to fix this and get the missing vaccinations sorted out. She did not take yaincoa to the doctor for around 4 years (missing various appointments and check ups he needed to have for his age) and last year she just didn’t turn up for various appointments that fell in her week. In contrast xavi took yaincoa to 4 doctor’s appointments and twice to the doctor for his feet (I don’t know the name in English!). A year and a half ago we had to take yaincoa to the doctor as his weight had increased during summer holidays. The doctor told us that he was technically classed as being obese and gave us strict instructions to follow so that he could lose weight. We sent the information to wicked witch on 3 various occasions however she continues to order take away pizzas, buy chocolate croissants and give yaincoa chocolate waffles and ice creams without a second thought. She also feels that it is acceptable to give a growing child half and apple, a carrot or on one occasion, an ice cream for breakfast. When we ask her about this her answer is that her son is marvellous and that he is not obese. Despite us sending various notes from the doctor that he was obese and now thanks to our hard work he has dropped down to overweight. When you look at yaincoa he does not look overweight, he looks fine, but it is not all about how he looks, it is about giving him a healthy diet. Something we do our best to do and something she screws up every week by not following a word of the doctor’s advice. And yet she has the audacity to tell yaincoa he has a fat stomach and to then teach her (then 7 year old) son how to do sit ups. She has often let yaincoa leave the house without brushing his teeth and on various occasions she has put her jeans and t-shirts on him to wear to school (she in tiny, they fit him). She lets him sit in the front seat without his child safety seat and we have seen her doing wheel spins with the car due to pulling away so quickly. She has lied in front of him, she has made him lie for her and she has told him that his father is a big liar. She has not paid her half of the shared custody for more than 18 months owing thousands but she has bought him a play station, a Nintendo and x box – spoiling him unnecessarily. He has had problem with his behaviour in school and has bought home various bad report cards, but she does not punish him. Her response ‘he is just a child’. We do extra work with yaincoa almost every day to improve his grades, and they are now improving, she does nothing. She claims that her father abused her as a child and that her mother just accepted it. She explained to yaincoa that her parents died in an airplane crash. I don’t know the reason she lost contact with her 2 brothers and her sister. Despite making these claims about her parents, she has recently made contact with her family again, she moved flat to be closer to them and she is now leaving yaincoa in the same flat as her mother and father whilst she works. She refuses to be in the same room as her father, says he is an abuser, and then leaves her son there. She phones Xavi’s mother and calls her own mother a whore and then she leaves yaincoa with her.
For these reasons I do not simply dislike her. I will not say the word hate, but what I feel towards this woman is much more than dislike. She is not a nice person and as far as I am concerned she in not fit to call herself a mother. Being a mother is a lot more than simply giving birth to a baby. Being a mother is everything that she is not and will never be. On the few occasions I have said something to her about yaincoa her response has been simple “you are no one to me, don’t talk to me, you are not a mother”. Firstly, I didn’t have to be a mother to know that she was not doing things the right way, that she was not doing everything in the best way possible for the benefit of her son. Now that I am a mother, I am actually disgusted by her behaviour. When Emmeline is sick I want to be right there by her side to make her feel better. I would never dream of palming her off onto her grandmother, nor would I ever think to say that I don’t want to be with her if she is sick. I am her mommy and I want to make her feel better. When she has to go to the doctor, I will go with her, even if xavi could take her to every appointment, I would still go with her because I want to know exactly what is going on with my child. I will do everything possible to give my child a healthy diet and a healthy upbringing. I will push my child and help her as much as possible with her school work and her grades. I will do everything possible for my child.
I see this woman repeatedly doing what she can do hurt xavi without realising there hurt it causes her son. I see her not looking after his diet, not taking him to the doctor, not taking him to the dentist or the foot doctor, nor does she show any interest in any of these; she doesn’t push him to get better grades, she doesn’t pay his maintenance, she dresses him in her clothing, she put him in danger, she lies to him, in front of him and about him, and she leaves in the care of a man who she claims abused her and a woman she claims turned a blind eye.
I don’t think that I am being unfair in my feeling towards her. I think that not just any parent, but any person in my situation would feel the same as I do  . . . if not worse.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Shannon that's terrible - she sounds absolutely disgusting and does not deserve a child. I'm sorry hun, I can however relate to much of what you have said from my own life and situation now... You are not alone in oyur feelings of severe dislike and if you used the word hate it would be acceptable to that situation. Yu are a great Mom and one thing that is definite is that one day when that little boy grows up he will know where the real love and care came from. Chat soon xxx Carey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shan. Is there nothing legal you can do? Can you not subpoena witnesses for statements and take her to court and get full custody? The fact that she hasn't paid for her side of the maintenance should stand for something in court right? What about taking Yain to a psychologist and get a report from him/her and submit that in court urging further investigation into the mother? The reason I'm bringing this up is that a good friend of mine became a chornic alcoholic. She had a 10 year old daughter and I just couldn't stand to see what was happening anymore. I got hold of the father and explained everything as I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't do something. Anyway we had to do similar things to build a case against the mother. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, after reading the complete story, it's obvious to me that Yaincoa's mum's life evolves around her massive capacity to be selfish and not look past that. For that reason, everything and everyone she comes into contact with suffers, more so the people that are closest to her. She is going to grow old a very lonely and bitter person, and some day when it's too late, she will reflect on her empty life and deep sadness will set in.. No sympathy from me though ! I am sorry to hear what you guys have all been through, more so Yiancoa, as he is a child and really the innocent party here !

    NONETHELESS, this beautiful little boy will soon be 15, then 16 then 17 years old and his eyes become a window to reaity and he will see all the lies and the ill treatment. He will also see what Xavi and you have been doing for him and the love he has for Xavi and the mum that loves him for real (You), and of course his beautiful little sister Emmeline will continue to grow and be strong and unbreakable. Until then, you will just have to continue being the best parents to Yaincoa as you have been doing and support him through any difficultes as you have been. Xavi sounds like a Great dad, and from one loving, caring father to another, my heart and support is with Xavi..... Our Kids are our World and worth fighting for forever xx.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon you know I love you and care about you,so don't be upset by my comments being different from the above, and don't forget I have experienced both sides of this coin,Firstly I agree with the other comments, and I have spent a few days thinking about this and I feel you are giving W.W. far to much power.As long as she occupies your thoughts she is winning.Believe me, she is happily going on with her life while you are burdened thinking about her.What she does is Petty, and not important,you are doing your best that's all that matters Throw her out your head, she's not your problem.Pray for her,she has lost a husband and her child, she needs your prayers. You have a beautiful pair of children and a man that loves you all. Count your blessings and forget about W.W., and never ever make the mistake of letting the kids hear or know how you feel about her.Always be positive around them. Love gran

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shan what a unfortunate situation all round my sweetie pie. Why people have to be so cruel and life so hard, I really really dont know. However as hard as it is, be the better person as much as possible - and i agree with "gran" above. What she says is so true. So as hard as it is, try focus on that - remember you are the "cream" cooks and cream rises above all else. Love you lots xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much for your comments and for your support. In answer to some of your comments. We will continue to do everything that we can and have been doing for yaincoa because at the end of the day, he is the most important thing and i know that one day he will appreciate everything. As far as th law goes, it is still totally unfair and favours the mother, so obtaining more custody is virtually impossible! However we have one court order against her for not paying her maintenance and we will be filing another one for not carrying out her responsibilities as a parent to try and get her to do something! We have been trying for a week now to get her to make an appointment and take her son to the doctor (for the first time in more than a year), and there appears to be no way that she will do it. She refuses. If she was only trying to hurt xavi and i, perhaps i would be able to pity her. We try to be the bigger person all the time, and can laugh at her insults to us, but she hurts her own son again and again. I can pity someone who is alone and bitter, i cannot pity someone who hurts there own child as a way to hurt the father, i cannot pity someone who cannot look after her son as he deserves, i cannot pity someone who puts herself before her child. I will pray for yaincoa but i will not pray for her. You reap what you sow in this life and she is walking all over her son and xavi without a second thought.One day that will come back to her. On the upside, the older yain gets, the less we have to do with her, so i guess there is a silver lining after all! xxx

    ReplyDelete