Monday, April 4, 2011

Let the crawling commence

Emmeline got big!

It feels like it was only a few weeks ago that my waters broke and I was being wheeled in for an emergency caesarean for a prolapsed umbilical cord amongst the real danger that Emmeline could suffocate herself.
It feels like only a few weeks ago that her little umbilical cord fell off whilst I was changing her, only a few weeks ago that she smiled, only a few weeks ago that she would curl up on my chest and sleep like an angel, only a few weeks ago she held herself up for a few seconds whilst on her tummy.
It feels like only a few days ago that she laughed, a few days ago that she rolled over, a few days ago that she tried solids for the first time, a few days ago that she started saying mama and papa.

Then a few weeks ago whilst she was playing in her little crib next to my desk in the office, she pulled herself up to a standing position all by herself. She was getting too curious to know what was going on outside the boundaries of those 4 cotton candy walls! Not long after that, she finally worked out the crawl position! She managed to get her bum up and her legs under her, hands poised and ready to go. And off she went . . . backwards! But at least there was movement, that was enough for us. But apparently it was not enough for Emmeline because 4 or 5 days after going backwards she took her first wobbly movements forwards whilst in the park! Part of me thought it was a fluke, but when I got home and put her on the bed, off she went wobbling her way forwards!

My little tiny newborn baby that I cradled in my arms for the first time in what felt like only a few moments before was crawling all by herself. She was no longer a tiny newborn baby, she no longer wants to be cradled in my arms, she no longer wants to fall asleep on my chest and she is now becoming more and more independent using me simply as a human mountain to try and climb over!

Where did the time go?
She is only 8.5 months old.
She is already 8.5 months old.

I have accepted my fate and I bought corner protectors, plug protectors and various other protectors to stop the little crawler we now have in the house from doing more harm to herself than the many bumps on the head she is going to encounter along the way to stability! Today alone bought us three naughty little bumps, but as much as I tell her that this is a consequence of holding onto things with just one hand, she refuses to take me seriously! Hopefully she will learn that lesson soon enough. I also hope that she learns that she will continue to get more naughty little bumps when she rolls off the nice soft cushion I have placed on the floor onto the hard tiled floors. Stop at the edge of the cushion child!

Bump, ouch, waaaaah!

A common sound in my house now.

I know that walking is just around the corner, and I am happy with her development and her new found independence. I don’t mind about all my magazines being pulled off the shelf and ripped apart. I will clean up the strewn books on the floor that she herself has strewn there for the umpteenth time; I will put the blank DVD’s back in their cases every time she pulls them out one by one by one. I will do all of this and more if she will repay me by falling asleep on my chest every now and then and being my little girl who needs her mommy

please . . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment